Monday, February 24, 2014

Susan Wiggs

I really like Susan Wiggs, especially the Lakeshore Chronicles.  She is very similar to Robyn Carr.  But the  Apple Orchard was phenomenal, it had more depth and meat to it.  Plus, it came out in hardcover first, which is always an indication I will like it.  I like books that involve research in some way and this one took on some family histories (and collectibles) that were fun to follow.  The setting of the book, in Sonoma County was rich with vivid detail. The characters were very likable and well developed.  Tess, the main character finds she has inherited half an estate from a Grandfather she did not even know she had--including a half sister whose life evolves around the Apple Orchard and her cooking.  The food described in this book will make you hungry on the spot.  As I became immersed in the story I could not help thinking something was missing. Not much was said about the half sister Isabel but what was mentioned was veiled in mystery.  I knew there had to be another book in the making.  And guess what?  There is!  The Beekeeper's Ball is due out in June, dedicated to Isabel.  So the story will go on, ahhhh my favorite kind.

So, there's another author to try.  I absolutely recommend the Apple Orchard and any of the Lakeshore Chronicles.  The first in the series is Summer at Willow Lake.  There are ten in the series so far.  I also recommend Table for Five.  Great, great standalone by this author.

The Traverse Area District Library carries all of these books in either hardcover, paperback, audio and ebook formats.

Image of item                  Image of item                 Image of item

           

No comments:

Post a Comment